Communication is one of the most popular university majors in the United States because effective communication is essential to your personal and professional success. It is the only academic discipline that focuses exclusively on the exchange of messages to create meaning. We explore what, when, where and why humans interact. Learning about communication theories, research, and best practices makes you a better communicator in relationships, in the community, and at work. Employers want graduates with strong communication skills, including written, oral, and emerging media skills. You will consistently practice communication skills in our core curriculum. We are committed to helping you use the knowledge and abilities you learn in our classes to be strategic communicators, influential industry leaders, and engaged citizens.
Our program is a holistic and broad Communication program and our classes our taught by award winning professors with PhDs who know how to effectively design online courses and are always responsive to students. Because of our wide scope, this BA in Communication program prepares students for a wide range of careers:
- Strategic Communications: Mass communication, brand communication, crisis communication, public relations, media relations, corporate communication, internal communication
- Public Relations Specialist: branding, relationship building, community liaison, media relations, crisis management
- Government/Defense/Politics/Law: Government communications, speech writing, legislative affairs, lobbying, researching, press secretary, campaigner, lawyer
- Health Care/Health Communications: Marketing, training, health education, publications editor, activities planner, patient advocacy, health campaigns
- Education: Teacher, professor, college recruitment, admissions counseling, alumni relations, program development, student activities, sports information
- Business/Advertising: Management, corporate training, customer service, human resources, media relations, advertising, consulting
- Social & Human Services: Community affairs liaison, volunteer coordinator, tourism, ministry
- Tourism/Event Planning: marketing, audience analysis, publicity
Why a Bachelor's Degree in Communication?
- Communication has traditionally been one of the most important disciplines in the liberal arts and we teach the career readiness communication competencies that the National Association of College and Employers stress as essential for college graduates.
- 100% of our student go through intense Career and Self-Development training.
- 100% of our students complete a Capstone Experience which is considered a high impact teaching practice and ensures our students are ready for the workforce and continued intellectual development and lifelong learning after graduation.
- 100% of our students complete a final portfolio or ePortfolio, which is a high impact teaching practice.
- 100% of our student take courses focused on diversity and global learning, also a high impact practice.
- Our students participate in undergraduate research and present at academic conferences.
- Communication degrees are some of the popular university majors in the United States because effective communication is essential to your personal and professional success.
- Our students have a track record of graduating, getting good jobs and being accepted to graduate school.
- Our faculty are award winning teachers and researchers.
- Our faculty are active in important academic organizations such as the Carolinas Communication Association, the Southern States Communication Association, the National Communication Association, the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, and the International Communication Association.
Eligibility & Requirements
Total Credit Hours Earned
Following Courses Completed
- Composition and Literature
- Public Speaking or Interpersonal Communication
- Natural Science with a Lab
- Two Social/Behavioral Science courses
- Humanities course
- World Civilization
- American Government or American History
Students who have not completed these requirements can do so at any of our Palmetto College campuses statewide, or at any technical college. To find out if you are qualified to apply for this program, please contact a Palmetto College advisor.
Students taking a full-time course load can potentially complete this degree in 2 years if they have at least 60 degree applicable transfer hours.
Call, chat, or email us today! Our trained representatives can create a plan that takes into account your earned credits and your unique circumstances.
If you've already talked to a Palmetto College representative, go ahead and apply.