Dr. Gary J. Senn, Director
Dr. Thomas J. C. Smyth, Director of Faculty Development
The main purpose for the CEET is to help incorporate educational technology into the classroom. Educational technology is defined as hardware and software associated with multimedia computer systems. Specifically, this includes: computer systems, printers, storage media (optical disks, hard disks, removable storage), audio visual devices (scanners, cameras, sound capture/generation) and networking (LAN, WAN, Internet).
The main deliverable for CEET was the Master of Education in Educational Technology degree program. This joint, online program offered through USC Aiken and Columbia provides anyone interested in educational technology to develop skills that will enable them to be technology leaders and incorporate more technology into the educational setting.
In order to ensure that all of our South Carolina students have an opportunity to learn to use technology as a tool, preservice and inservice teachers must have adequate preparation and experience so that they can use technology with their students. With a growing emphasis on technology, it is vital that institutions that prepare teachers for South Carolina schools include technology as a fundamental component of their curriculum. It is also important to provide learning experiences for inservice teachers so that they can incorporate the technology into their classrooms.
The CEET models effective technology programs, works with faculty at South Carolina's teacher preparation institutions, incorporates technology in preservice teacher education programs, provides inservice staff development opportunities, maintains a WWW presence and operate a state-of-the-art educational technology facility.
- Compile an understanding of current uses and methods of incorporating educational technology in the classroom.
- Incorporate educational technology into content specific instructional methods courses for preservice teachers.
- Develop a program where preservice teachers receive hands-on experience in using educational technology with K-12 students.
- Offer courses and workshops to inservice teachers that provide experience in using technology in the classroom.
- Develop a teacher resource center and multimedia laboratory to showcase educational technology.
- Establish a WWW site as a means of disseminating educational technology information and maintain a WWW presence for the other Centers, as necessary.
Visit the other South Carolina Centers of Excellence.