|Student Services Policies
|Publicity Posting Policy
|April 26, 2010
|July 10, 2020
|Director of Assessment and Special Projects – Student Affairs
|Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
The Offices of Student Life and Marketing & Community Relations are interested in assisting student organizations and campus departments in their efforts to publicize their activities while maintaining the beauty of the USCA campus. A variety of avenues are available for publicizing on campus. To best meet the needs of the entire campus, the following policy addresses a variety of physical publicity methods on campus.
- All publicity must be approved by the Office of Student Life.
- With the exception of registered banners in designated banner areas in each building, all publicity must be placed in approved areas. Approved areas include:
- Designated Big Board areas
- Sandwich Boards
- Open Bulletin Boards
- Other areas approved by the Associate Director of Student Life or a designee
- All publicity hung in University Housing facilities must be approved by the University Housing office.
- Bulletin boards located across campus are assigned by the Associate Director of Student Life or a designee. Bulletin boards are assigned based on availability and usefulness to the campus community.
- There are a designated number of open boards that are for the use of the campus community and the general public. All items on these boards must be date-stamped and approved by the Office of Student Life. The group hanging the flyer are responsible for removing their outdated materials. A map of all open boards is available in the Student Life Office.
- No flyer larger than 22" by 16" (L x W) will be allowed on open bulletin boards.
- If an organization does not follow the publicity policies, the Associate Director of Student Life or designee will be able to impose sanctions on that organization.
- Big Boards and/or banners may be hung on the interior and exterior entrances of the Student Activities Center and in designated areas on campus approved by the Associate Director of Student Life or designee.
- Student organizations may chalk sidewalks in designated areas and all designs must be approved by the Associate Director of Student Life or designee.
- Table tents are not allowed on public tables (including food services areas) unless specifically approved by the Associate Director of Student Life or designee and the Director of Food Services.
- Publicity is not allowed to be hung for more than 14 days unless specific approval is given by the Associate Director of Student Life or designee.
- Yard signs are allowed on campus at the expense of the department or student organization.
Stall Wall/Café News
Student News Email Announcements
If a department or student organization would like to inform the student population about an event or program through the Student News email, the following guidelines will be used:
- The event or program announcement must be related to University business (final determination will be left to the Associate Director of Student Life or designee).
- Student News will be sent out on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday by 10:00 am. Exceptions to this rule include announcements made by the Business Services Office, Student Affairs, Financial Aid, Records, and any emergency announcements. All other announcements will be included in the will be included Monday, Wednesday, and Friday email of the Student News.
Spirit Horse Guidelines
- All individuals, organizations, and groups must supply their own paint or materials when wanting to decorate the horse. The University will not supply these materials.
- Only the horse is allowed to be painted. No individual, organization, or group will be allowed to paint any sidewalks, lamp posts, grass, or buildings surrounding the spirit horse. Any damages caused to University property with paint or any other materials used to decorate the horse will be of the financial responsibility of the individual, group, or organization who causes the damages.
- No racial slurs, derogatory language, hate speech or the belittlement of other on-campus organizations or individuals will be tolerated. Remember, anything put on the horse reflects either positively or negatively on your organization.
- All paintings or decorations must be in accordance with the University Handbook. Any violations will be subject to discipline in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.
- Paintings or decorations must be approved prior to the horse being used by the Associate Director of Student Life or designee.
- Reservations of the horse can be made for up to a week at a time and must be done in the Office of Student Life. Special permission to have decorations on the horse for more than a week may be granted for certain events.
- The Office of Student Life will be regularly monitoring the horse to make sure that any decoration on the horse does not violate any of the above guidelines.
The USC Aiken Marketing Department acts as administrator of the digital signage system, which is comprised of several television screens located around the University campus.
A department or student organization may create their own slides using Powerpoint or graphic design software. Recommended slide dimensions are a 4:3 ratio, with a minimum width of 1400px.
- Digital signage is primarily intended for use by USC Aiken recognized student groups and University departments. Slides must advertise USC Aiken sponsored events only. No personal events, sales or advertisements will be accepted. Personal events include, but are not limited to, parties, yard sales and birthdays.
- For events, slides must include the following: the sponsoring organization of the event, event name, location, date and time as well as any necessary information such as costs, contact information, registration, etc.
- Submissions must be made at least five business days in advance of the event date. Failure to give proper time to post the slide may result in the slide not being displayed. Exceptions may be made dependent on departmental needs.
- The Marketing Department has the right to review and approve or deny all slides submitted. Slides may be refused based on content, language, pictures, images, or references to alcohol.
- Slides must comply with established University logo standards.
- Messages that include the copyrighted or trademarked works of others will not be posted without written permission.
- The slide will be displayed for approximately 10 seconds at a time. Fonts should be easy for viewers to read. Please limit the amount of text, and make the text as large as possible.
- Please proofread slides before submitting.