|Subject:||Scheduling of Campus Facilities|
|Date:||Revised - October 11, 2019|
|Issued by:||Senior University Facilities Executive|
|Authorized by:||Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance / CFO|
This policy provides a comprehensive set of guidelines and procedures for the scheduling and reservation of property, buildings, facilities and grounds owned or controlled by the University of South Carolina Aiken as well as the inclusion of University-sponsored events in the calendar system, regardless of location. Use of campus spaces should be for activities that support the university’s primary mission of education through teaching, research, creative activity and community engagement.
I. Policies for Scheduling USC Aiken Facilities
- Facilities on the USC Aiken campus can be scheduled for both internal and external group events. Internal groups are defined as academic and administrative departments, units, and student organizations. External groups are defined as private, corporate, and non-profit entities. The Office of External Programs, Continuing Education, and Conferences will schedule and coordinate all events for external groups, with the exception of the Etherredge Center, the Ruth Patrick Science Education Center, and the Convocation Center/Athletics fields.
- Reservable Space Covered by this Policy: All interior (classrooms, laboratories, meeting rooms, assembly, conference rooms, study rooms and recreation rooms), exterior (recreational fields, walkways, quad areas, Pacer Path, front and back lawns, and any other outdoor space) and university controlled space which is located off-campus (such as USCA on the Alley) will be included.Office space will not be included as reservable space.
- Fees and Service charges
- All required fees related to use of reservable space or equipment associated with that space must be approved through the annual fee solicitation initiated by the USC Aiken’s Budget Office.
- Internal Users: If a space reservation includes any fees for space or equipment rental, the user should have a signed agreement reflecting these fees and terms of payment. If a space reservation does includes any fees for space or equipment rental, the user still need a sign contract stating that the user will be held financially responsible for any damages beyond normal wear on equipment, furniture, building, property, facilities and grounds.
- External Group or Organization: Fees for space or equipment rental with an external group or organization must be included in the contract approved by USC Aiken Budget Office and Office of the Chancellor. The user will be held financially responsible for any damages beyond normal wear on equipment, furniture, building, property, facilities and grounds. In addition, the user will be held financially responsible for any custodial, security, parking or other facilities services required because of the scheduled event if not identified as part of the rental fee.
- Off-campus Short-term Rental: Off-campus space leased for a particular event must have a contractual agreement and approval with the unit and university. Users must adhere to specific property procedures of that space. When a University event is approved for an off-campus rental, the user is responsible for submitting the information to the University’s 25Live reservation system as an “Office Campus” location for inclusion on the calendar.
- Assembly, Athletic, and Vendor-contracted Space: Reservation requests for any University space such as Convocation Center and athletic facilities that are typically used for both commercial and campus events or are controlled by an approved vendor will follow the procedures established for that facility. When a University event is approved for one of these spaces, the Requestor is responsible for submitting the information to 25Live reservation system for inclusion on the calendar.
- Non-discrimination for Assignment of Space: Requests for space usage must be reviewed in the context of this and other related policies. A request that is compliant with these policies cannot be denied because of age, race, gender, color, sex, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetics, national origin, or disability status of the user.
- The Office of External Programs, Continuing Education, and Conferences will be the coordinating unit with final approval for all campus facility requests.
- Usage Guidelines for All Space
- Appropriate Usage of Space
- University Event: Event organized by a university unit, including performance events for public audiences.
- iUniversity-sponsored Event: Event organized by a group or organization external to the university, but sponsored by a university unit because of mutual interest and collaboration.
- External Group or Organization with Contractual Space Rental: Event organized bya group or organization external to the university based on contractual arrangement for use of space, including commercial events at the Convocation Center, Ruth Patrick Science and Education Center, Etherredge Center, and other venues.
- Inappropriate Use of Space
- Event that is mercantile in nature (beyond solicitation as defined in UniversityPolicy on Campus Solicitation).
- Event posing a conflict of interest: Before approval for space request from an outside sponsor, Approver should review possible direct degrees of competition between the requester of the event with the university.
- Event that has not been properly vetted and scheduled, including personal use without a contractual agreement for space. The contractual agreement will provide the written guidelines for use of the space. The guidelines may be based on specific conditions (e.g., outdoor space activities) and prior history of the user (e.g., prior non-payment of fees, inappropriate use of space, non-compliance with policies for space usage).
- All groups using campus facilities must leave facilities as they found them, i.e. no excessive trash, no changes in the room setups, no covers on doors, windows, etc.
- All groups using campus facilities are required to use campus food services, ARAMARK, https://usca.catertrax.com.
- Indoor and outdoor space is subject to the campus-wide ban on tobacco
- Only assistance animals and laboratory animals are permitted. Assistance animals include service animals only.
- Candles or open flames of any kind are restricted
- Use of tape or other adhesives, nailing, tacking or permanently adhering items to ceilings, walls, floors, windows or doors is prohibited, except where permitted. Ceiling tiles, security camera systems, and fire safety equipment should not be tampered with in any space.
- The Office of External Programs, Continuing Education, and Conferences can specify restrictions concerning how a space is used due to donor/contractual restrictions or similar considerations.
- Events may not be announced or advertised, except to key event participants, until contracts have been fully executed by all parties.
- All groups using campus facilities must refrain from making excessive noise during their meeting/events in classroom buildings in order to not disturb classes, other meetings, or students who are studying.
- Weekend event and end times for all groups are as follows: Sunday-Thursday: events must end by midnight, with guests vacating the facility by 12:15 a.m., facility must be clear of all equipment and cleaned up by 1:00 a.m. Friday-Saturday: events must end by 1:00 a.m.,with all guests vacating the facility by 1:15 a.m., facility must be clear of all equipment and cleaned up by 2:00 a.m. Requests for a later closing time (which may include time for break-down or clean up) must be made to the Associate Director of Student Life for student events; or to the Director of the Office of External Programs, Continuing Education, and Conferences for other events- no later than ten (10) business days prior to the event.
- There may be charges for housekeeping, house managers, technical personnel, and/or operations, i.e. setups, breakdowns, cleanups, in addition to any rental fee for the use of University facilities and resources to be assessed by the Office of External Programs,Continuing Education, and Conferences, the Etherredge Center Office,Convocation Center, and/or the Operations Office.
- For events held in the Etherredge Center: a production meeting is required prior to every event. A projected set of costs will be provided in advance of the event date, along with any special conditions. After the event has taken place, an itemized bill will be sent to the rental group contact person.
- Appropriate Usage of Space
- It is the responsibility of the requesting individual or group to set up an appointment with the USC Aiken Police Chief for security for events with 100 or more participants. If it is determined that additional security is needed at specific events, the charges for this service will be paid by the responsible individual group.
- If media and /or marketing are needed, it can be requested through 25Live under “Resources”.
- Parking is available in Parking Lots A, B, C, and D. Visitors should park in the spaces indicated by the white lines. The parking spaces indicated by yellow lines are reserved for faculty and staff; visitors are prohibited from parking in these areas.
- All campus rooms and facilities are booked on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Campus facilities may not be available for use on official University holidays.
II. Procedures for Scheduling Internal Groups
- All room requests must be scheduled in the 25Live system to ensure the availability of the room or facility. The following information regarding the proposed event is necessary: date(s), name of the event, facility reservation time(s), or the start and end time that the requester would like to reserve the facility, published event time(s), or actual start and end time of the event, number of people expected to attend, and the room or facility requested. All student groups/organizations must have approval by the student organization's faculty or staff advisor and the Associate Director of StudentLife prior to submitting the request. If the meeting or event will be held on multiple dates, i.e. a sorority or fraternity meeting that is held each week at the same time/same room, it is necessary to place repeating dates in 25Live. Contact information of the person responsible for organizing the event should be placed in the “Event Details” on 25Live for each meeting or event.
- USC Aiken’s 25Live Reservation System is available online on the USC Aiken homepage at the bottom of the page the “A to Z” index under “0-9” 25Live (login).
- The approver in 25Live will respond to the requester's email request within two business days of receipt of the request. He/she will review requests for space and will be responsible to assure any scheduled events comply with relevant university policies, legal regulations and the university mission. He/she should coordinate with the user regarding venue options such as set-up, audio-visual equipment, catering, special custodial requests, security, building access, parking and building systems (e.g., lighting, AC and heating units)
- If the desired facility is available, the requester will be able to reserve via 25Live. All requests are first come, first serve basis. If the desired facility is in use, the only way the reservation can be changed is when the initial reserving party agrees to remove the reservation, or by order of theChancellor. Due to operations scheduling, requests will need to be submitted at least three days prior to the event.
- If any type of setup is required, including a setup for catering or A/V equipment, a diagram must be attached in 25Live. If catering is needed, this can also be requested in 25Live and ordering can be placed through Aramark’s link: https://usca.catertrax.com.
- To request the use of A/V equipment, please request in 25Live under “Resources”. This is also where you would request the number of tables and chairs if needed.
- Any changes in events i.e. times, location, or cancellations, must be made in 25Live
III. Priority Assignment and Restriction of Space
- General Classroom Space: Priority usage of general purpose classroom space is for scheduled academic courses. General purpose classrooms are available for other usage after the master schedule is determined for a given semester.
- Public Assembly/Event Space: Public assembly event space such as Convocation Center and athletic facilities are included in this policy for inclusion on the University calendar.Reservations and usage requirements are determined by the facility guidelines and contractual agreements.
- Local Unit Non-Assembly Space: The local user may prioritize events within that unit over requests from outside users.
- Cancellation of Space Reservation: The University may cancel an internal, non-contractual agreement if the University makes a good faith determination that the University’s use of the space is necessary to meet the educational mission of the University or that an emergency or other circumstance requires cancellation of the agreement.
- Non-Discrimination for Assignment of Space: Requests for space usage must be reviewed in the context of this and other related policies. A request that is compliant with these policies cannot be denied because of age, race, gender, color, sex, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetics, national origin, or disability status of the user.
IV. Related Policies
- AADV 103 - Alcohol Policy
- ABUSF 107 - Catering Policy
- ASTAF 101 - Student Social Event Policy
- ASTAF 104 - Used of Alcoholic Beverages Campus Policy
- ASTAF 106 - Solicitation Policy
- ABUSF 117 - Etherredge Center Scheduling Policies
V. Reason for Revision