For Freshmen: How do I apply to USC Aiken School of Nursing?
- First, you must be accepted to the university. The application can be found online: www.usca.edu/admissions/apply. You will need to request your high school transcripts. If you have AP credit be sure to request those also be sent. When you have been accepted you will receive a letter from Admissions. If you are beginning in a fall semester be sure to attend one of the July orientations so you can get the classes you need and the schedule you would like. Your assigned nursing advisor is Ms. Kathy Simmons, MEd, Student Services Program Coordinator.
For Transfer students: How do I apply to USC Aiken School of Nursing?
- First, you must be accepted to the university. The application can be found online: www.usca.edu/admissions/apply. You will need to request transcripts from all the colleges and/or universities you have attended. It is imperative that you apply to USC Aiken at a minimum of 8 weeks prior to the application deadline to be sure everything is in place for your nursing application. This includes your transcript evaluated and entered in SSC. Once they have received all your transcripts you will receive a letter of acceptance from admissions. You must include a copy of this letter when you apply to the nursing program. If a course does not transfer to fulfill our requirement you may contact the Registrar's office at 641-3550. (For instance, you took English 101 at school X but it transferred as an elective rather than ENGL 101.) You may ask for reconsideration by submitting the syllabus from the semester you took the class. The department chair may or may not alter their original decision. The syllabus is submitted to the registrar's office.)
- USC System Transfer students must do a change of campus for the semester they wish to begin nursing. You must be accepted to USC Aiken by the application deadline.
- There will be no evaluations during the months of February/March and September/October. There are also no walk in evaluations.
What courses need to be completed before you can apply to nursing?
- The following courses MUST be completed prior to application to nursing (if you are enrolled in a course your application will be denied):
BIOL 243 Anatomy & Physiology I
BIOL 244 Anatomy & Physiology II
CHEM 101 Chemistry
ENGL 101 English
ENGL 102 Literature and Composition
SOCY 101 Introduction to Sociology
PSYC 101 Introduction to Psychology
PSYC 310 Developmental Psychology or EDPY 330 Lifespan Development* OR STAT 201 Statistics *
MATH 108 College Algebra or a higher level math
* You may use the grade for EDPY 330 or PSYC 310 or STAT 201, whichever is the higher grade. You may NOT use more than one of these courses on the application.
- STAT 201 AND PSYC 310 or EDPY 330 MUST be complete prior to beginning the clinical program.
- Courses older than 10 years that have been repeated do not need to be reported on the nursing application.
What is the GPA Requirement?
- For the courses listed above the minimum GPA to apply is 3.0. You must include the grade for every time a course is taken. For instance: if a student takes ENGL 101 and receives a D then repeats and receives an A both grades must be reported on the application and calculated in the core GPA.
What is acceptance based on?
- Admission to the nursing program is a competitive process. The following criteria are used: Core GPA, science GPA (BIOL 243, 244 and CHEM 101), two College Level Academic References and the questions essay.
What is the average GPA accepted each time?
- Because it is a competitive process the GPA will vary semester to semester.
When are the application and references due?
- 5pm October 1 to begin in January and 5pm March 1 to begin in August. If the 1st is a Saturday or Sunday the application is due the Friday before. If mailed it must be in our hands by the deadline of 5pm on the 1st or the Friday before if the 1st is a Saturday or Sunday.
Be sure you complete the application completely and correctly.
Do you require the TEAS?
- Yes. Beginning Fall 2019 all applicants are required to take the TEAS Exam.
Can I apply online?
How many students do you accept?
- We accept between 40 and 56 students twice a year.
How many applications do you normally get?
- Between 75 and 100.
What if I do not fill out my application correctly, or if the school receives only one reference or I do not sign and date the application and or essay?
- Your application will not be considered by the admissions committee and you will receive a denial letter. The school of nursing will NOT notify you if your file is incomplete. You may call the SON to inquire about your file: 803-641-3507.
When will I find out if I am accepted?
- You will receive a letter within 3 to 4 weeks of the application deadline.
If I am not accepted do I have to apply again?
- Yes. We will keep your references for one more application period but you must submit a new application and question essay. (If you are happy with your question essay you do not need to rewrite but a new one with a new date must be submitted.)
What if I am placed on a waiting list?
Can I tour the nursing building?
- Contact USC Aiken Admissions 803-641-3366 for campus tour information. Please ask to have the nursing building included.
Can any nursing classes be taken in the evening or online?
- All classes are during the day although there may be some evening clinicals. None of the nursing clinical courses are taught online although some non clinical courses are hybrid courses.
What happens if I fail a required science course?
- You may repeat one science course. If you have two science failures you are ineligible to apply to the nursing program. But be aware that failing a science greatly diminishes chances of acceptance to this program.
Are there any exceptions to the science failure policy or if my GPA does not meet the required 3.0?
What if I failed out of another BSN or ADN program?