People conversing in the Penland Courtyard

What To Do If Someone Reports Sexual Assault or Harassment To You

Human Resources

Flowchart for Responding to Possible Title IX Violations

1. Talk about confidentiality.

Explain your mandatory reporter status the moment you realize a student might be about to discuss sexual assault or harassment. Tell them that you will be required to report their assault or harassment to USCA and cannot guarantee them complete confidentiality. Assure the student that the Title IX officials will do their best to respect his/her wishes, but must consider the safety of other students on campus as well.

If the survivor wants a guarantee of confidentiality, he/she must seek assistance from the USC Aiken Counseling Center or the Student Health Center. Then, you should discontinue any discussion about the assault/harassment and move to Step #2.

If the student is willing to talk with you about the situation without the guarantee of confidentiality, then move to Step #3.

2. Explain how to receive confidential services.

Explain to the survivor that they may discuss their experience in a free, confidential environment at the USC Aiken Counseling Center located in B&E 126 (803-641-3609. At the Counseling Center, they can discuss further options for seeking physical or emotional care, reporting the assault or harassment, or receiving further assistance from the community and/or USC Aiken. Offer to walk the survivor to the Counseling Center in person if at all possible. Then call and let the Counseling Center know that you will be arriving with a student.

3. Support the Survivor.

Allow him/her to share openly without making judgments or evaluations.

4. Report the Assault.

Talk to the survivor about reporting the incident to University Police. Remind the survivor that reporting the assault is not the same as prosecuting the assault. They can contact the police and weigh their options before making a decision about filing a criminal complaint. The police can provide valuable information that might assist the student in making an informed decision. If the survivor is willing, contact the USC Aiken Police Department at 803-648-4011.

If the survivor does not want to call the police, move on to the next step.

5. Seek Professional Assistance.

Ask the survivor if he/she would like for you to involve an advocate in the process. Inform the survivor about the services of the Cumbee Center to Assist Abused Persons. Cumbee Center advocates are on call 24/7 to provide support, information and referrals. Call 803-649-0480 to contact an advocate. After hours, follow the emergency prompt system directions. The advocate will provide support to the student and assist them in sorting through their options. 

If the survivor does not want you to call the Cumbee Center, move on to the next step.

6. Recommend Medical Attention.

Encourage the survivor to seek medical attention. Getting medical attention as soon as possible after an assault is important, whether or not a survivor plans to file a criminal complaint. Medical attention can detect, document and treat physical injury, sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy. Have the student go to the Aiken Regional Medical Center at 302 University Parkway; reach the hospital by phone at 803-641-5000.

7. Seek Emotional Support.

Encourage the survivor to seek emotional support and assistance. The survivor can receive free, confidential counseling at the Counseling Center located in B&E 126 (803-641-3609). If possible, walk the student to the Counseling Center after calling the Center to alert them that you will be arriving with a student.

8. Seek Judicial Support.

Explain to the survivor that the Office of Judicial Affairs can assist with filing a complaint against the alleged assailant, help initiate a “No Contact Order,” arrange interim protective measures (such as room changes, class schedule changes, etc.), and complete an investigation. Make note that involving Judicial Affairs is not the same as filing a police report. The Office of Judicial Affairs is responsible for the judicial process for students alleged to have violated a provision of the Student Code of Conduct. To make a report, contact Kevin Nolan at 803-641-3611.

9. Offer to connect the survivor with services for relocation.

If the survivor does not feel safe in his/her current residence you can offer to connect him/her with the following resources for temporary housing.

For on-campus residents, call the Associate Director of Housing, Hope Smith-Dunbar, at 803-641-3786.

Off-campus survivors can access an off-campus shelter via the Cumbee Center by calling 803-649-0480.

10. Report the Incident to a Title IX Coordinator. This is a mandatory step that must be completed as quickly as possible!

  • Carla Hayes: HR Director/Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator
  • Ahmed Samaha: Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs/Title IX Coordinator for Students


Provide your name and contact information. In most cases, the Title IX Coordinator or Vice Chancellor can respect requests for anonymity; however, there may be special instances when they are not able to honor a request for anonymity: i.e. a repeat offense by the alleged perpetrator, a very serious allegation, or the need to protect the community from danger.


USC Aiken Counseling Center

Business and Education Building, Room 126

803-641-3609 for appointments

Walk-ins are accepted


USC Aiken Student Health Center

Student Activites Center, Room 106


Walk-ins are welcome!

Hours: 10:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday-Friday


HR Director/Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator

Carla Hayes

Human Resources Office, Penland 116B



Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs/Title IX Coordinator for Students

Ahmed Samaha

Student Activities Center, Student Life Office



USC Aiken Judicial Affairs

Kevin Nolan

Student Activities Center, Student Life Office



Aiken Regional Medical Center

302 University Parkway, Aiken SC 29801



University Police

Pacer Downs

803-648-4011 from off-campus or cell phone

6111 from USCA phones


Cumbee Center to Assist Abused Persons


Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week