Spring 2021 Move In Dates and Process
As part of the university’s COVID-19 mitigation strategy, returning residents may return to campus for the spring semester, on one of two days: Saturday, January 9 and Sunday, January 10, 2021. Here are some important items that you will need to know so that your return to University Housing goes smoothly:
- The check in will be conducted between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm on both Saturday, January 9 and Sunday, January 10, 2021.
- Each resident will need to provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test done no more than 5 days prior to the return to campus. More information on the COVID-19 testing requirement is below.
- Check-In for spring semester will take place at the tent on Leadership Drive, near the University Police Department and the Pacer Downs Office. The gates entering University Housing off the Bell Parkway will be closed until Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 5:00 pm; the campus map may assist you.
COVID-19 Testing Requirement
What if I am remaining on campus throughout the holidays?
- Residents who have been approved to remain on campus until the start of the spring semester should plan to take a COVID Test at the SC DHEC COVID Testing site at the Convocation Center on Monday, 4th January 2021 or Wednesday, 6th January 2021 to ensure that you have the test results back before the first day of classes, which is Monday, 11th January 2021.
- The hours of testing are 1:00 pm to 6:30 pm, Wednesday through Monday.
- Please know that the testing site is closed on Tuesdays.
What if a COVID-19 test is not able to be done before returning to campus?
- Please be aware that should you be unable to complete your COVID-19 test before returning to campus, there will be an option on-campus to be tested when you return.
- If residents are not able to get a test prior to returning to campus, they will be able to be tested at the UofSC Aiken Convocation Center from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm on both Saturday and Sunday, 9th and 10th January 2021; there will be no fee for the test, though residents will need to provide their UofSC Aiken Student ID.
- Residents will be required to go to the Convocation Center prior to returning into their dorm room to get tested. Testing documentation will be provided to you and you will be required to show this to University Housing staff, and then maintain a self-quarantine in your dorm room until results are obtained.
- Self-quarantine protocols will be provided to those residents at the time of move in.
What if a positive test result comes back?
- Residents testing positive prior to returning to campus will not be allowed to move into housing until after the minimum 10 day isolation period off campus.
- Once the student shows no signs of COVID-19 symptoms, including no fever for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications, the student will be provided a new date and time to move into University Housing.
- University Housing will coordinate a new date and time to check in and will provide this information to the student via email. Any student who has tested positive should contact his or her advisor and professors to make arrangements to learn remotely through their quarantine or isolation periods.
Additional Information on Where to Find COVID-19 Testing
- SC DHEC test sites may be accessed on the SC DHEC website, or check with your home state or community’s health department.
All housing contracts are for the full academic year, this includes both fall and spring semesters. Please read the terms of the contract prior to submitting your application. Should you desire to cancel your housing contract, please complete the Housing Contract Release Form.
Fall Semester Check-out Procedures for Resident Not Returning in the Spring
The following instructions are for those residents who are not planning on returning to University Housing in January, including those residents who are graduating, transferring to another institution, or otherwise not returning to UofSC Aiken.
- Please complete an Express Check Out Form online. This may be completed prior to your move out of University Housing. FAQs are posted there as well on how to check out. Failure to follow the check out process will result in a minimum improper check out fee of $50.00.
- Move out all of your belongings from your room or apartment. Set up a time to check out with your RM, and then return your mailbox and apartment keys to the front desk of your community or building. Failure to return your keys may result in a $105.00 fine.
- An inspection of your room will be completed after your departure, and any fees or fines that may have been incurred will be posted to your student accounts.
- Please complete a Contract Release Form online. Please know that you will need to fully explain why you are wanting to break your Housing Contract. Additionally, you should be aware that there may be a fee of up to $1,000.00 if the reason for breaking the contract is not one of the approved reasons. Approved reasons include the following: graduation, transferring to another institution, marriage, and withdrawal from UofSC Aiken for the spring semester.
Security Deposit Refunds
Security Deposit Refunds are processed by USC Aiken and then forwarded to USC Columbia for checks to be issued. Please make sure you update your mailing address in Self-Service Carolina (SSC) so that your deposit refund check gets mailed to the correct address. This process takes 6-8 weeks.