IRS Tax Return Transcript
How to Request a Federal Tax Return Transcript
Students whose 2019-2020 FAFSA is selected for verification (and parents of dependent students) can request a Tax Return Transcript from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to satisfy the verification requirement for tax information provided on the FAFSA. There are three options for requesting a transcript from the IRS.
1) Online Request:
- Available on the IRS website at www.irs.gov.
- On the homepage, click "Get Your Tax Record".
- Click "Get Transcript ONLINE" (recommended) or "Get Transcript by MAIL".
- Create an account or sign in.
- Follow the instructions to order a Tax Return Transcript.
2) Telephone Request:
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946.
- Follow the prompts to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript for "2017".
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper Tax Return Transcript at the address on file with the IRS within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
3) Paper Request Form - IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- Download IRS Form 4506T-EZ at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf.
- Follow instructions to order a Tax Return Transcript.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. NOTE: Processing Form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.
PLEASE NOTE: We suggest that you make a copy of your transcript for your records before submitting it to the Office of Financial Aid.
Tax Filers Who File an Amended Federal Tax Return
A student or parent of a dependent student who files an amended federal tax return must submit a signed copy of Form 1040X in addition to the Tax Return Transcript to the Office of Financial Aid to satisfy verification.