The baccalaureate curricula of the School of Education are divided into two years of general education and two years of professional training. Any student who fulfills the admission requirements of the university may enroll in the pre-professional curriculum. Curricula designated as professional education courses are limited to candidates who have been formally accepted into the UofSC Aiken Professional Education Program.
Special Instructions for USC Salkehatchie and USC Sumter Students
Candidates enrolled at USC Salkehatchie or USC Sumter must complete their general education requirements prior to enrolling in UofSC Aiken pre-professional and professional education program courses. Once a USC Salkehatchie or USC Sumter candidate completes their general education class requirements, they must submit a USC Change of Campus Form prior to enrolling in UofSC Aiken pre-professional and professional education classes.
Please read all instructions before beginning application.
Complete the Formstack Professional Program Application and provide all "entry requirements" documentation.
Professional Program Courses may not be taken until admission into the Education Professional Program at USC Aiken has been granted.
REQUIRED: Professional Program Induction/Orientation. For fall term, it will be held the Wednesday before the first day of class; for spring term, it will be held the Thursday before the first day of class from 9-12 in the morning.
Formal admission to the Professional Program in Education is required of all UofSC Aiken students who wish to complete the approved program leading to certification as a public school teacher in South Carolina.
- UofSC Aiken students who plan to seek certification must apply to the Professional Program during the semester in which they will complete 60 hours of coursework that apply towards certification.
- Transfer students must have successfully completed 60 hours of coursework that apply towards certification, 12 hours of which must have been taken from UofSC Aiken.
- A completed Professional Program Application completed below.
Completed 60 credit hours at the time of application or semester of application.
Completed English A101, A102, and Communications requirements with a grade of "C" or better.
Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75.
Passed all three sections of Praxis Core, or exempted with ACT or SAT scores. If your Praxis scores were not sent to USC Aiken AND the SC Dept. of Ed. at the time of testing, the student must contact Praxis to see that this is done.
- TB tests are available from UofSC Aiken Student Health Center in the SAC for a fee (cash or check) or a physician of your choice. Please note that there is a 3 day wait period between your initial visit and a return visit to read results. TB tests must have been completed within the last year.
SLED Criminal Background Check
- Completed SLED Criminal Background clearance stating "No arrest data."
National Sex Offender Registry
- Completed National Sex Offender Registry clearance stating, "No records found."
Blackboard Professional Program Application Seminar
- Complete all material included in the Professional Program Application Seminar via Blackboard.
- To access the seminar, login to Blackboard, go to the "Organizations" tab, then click on the "Organization Catalog" located at the top right of the page. Finally, search the catalog for "Professional Program" and enroll in the organization.
- You can also use the following link: https://blackboard.sc.edu/ultra/organizations/_994753_1/cl/outline You will get an error message. Ignore this and click the "enroll" button in the bottom left of the page.