All USC System institutions will deliver instruction via online, remote, or alternative learning strategies for the rest of the semester
Dear Pacers ---
University of South Carolina President Bob Caslen just announced that all USC System institutions will deliver instruction via online, remote, or alternative learning strategies for the rest of the semester, and I was in agreement that this was the best course of action for UofSC Aiken.
While this is a difficult decision to make, it is a prudent one that will help protect the health and welfare of every student, faculty and staff.
Regardless of the delivery mechanism, the entire campus community remains committed to providing our students the opportunity to successfully complete the semester. Professors are continuing to prepare for the transition from face-to-face to remote instruction which begins Monday, March 23.
I know there will be many questions in the days to come, and please know USC Aiken is working as quickly and thoughtfully as possible. Some important updates:
- University Housing is closing except for those students who have extenuating circumstances. Students will have an opportunity to retrieve their belongings, and University Housing will be sending out an email message later this evening with more detail.
- Current "take-out" dining will continue to be available through next week.
- Refunds for housing and meal-plans will be pro-rated. Please be patient while the Business and Finance Office work through this process. More details will follow.
- Advisement and registration schedules for Summer and Fall remain unchanged, and will be conducted remotely. Many students are already working with their advisors for the 2020 Summer and Fall registration. If you haven't already been in contact with your advisor, please do so.
- Degrees will be conferred in May to qualified graduating seniors. Options of a delayed or non-traditional commencement ceremony are being discussed and more details will be available. We want to recognize your hard work appropriately, even if social distancing requirements are still in place in May.
- Student support services will be offered remotely to promote student success.
- As announced earlier, all campus-events will be cancelled until further notice.
- Following Governor McMaster's executive order released this afternoon, we will continue with modified operations for employees until further notice. Please call your immediate supervisor if you have questions.
- The USC Aiken Children's Center will be closed until further notice.
- For your health and safety, social distancing is essential to slow the spread of this disease. Please continue to practice good health and safety habits during this time.
Thank you for your continued patience, support and flexibility as we navigate this uncertain time. GO PACERS!
Sandra J. Jordan