What is the WORC Leaders Program?
The WORC Leaders Program is a leadership program aimed at producing excellent STEM graduates that are also accomplished and experienced leaders. This is a unique component of the WORC Scholars Program.
Exceptional students in engineering, mathematics, computer science, chemistry, biology (ERRP), and earth systems science will be selected as freshman by a competitive process. Each recipient will receive a scholarship in their freshman year that may be renewed each year while in college (based on GPA, continuation in STEM major, and meeting requirements of WORC Leaders Program listed below on a yearly basis). Scholarship is offered through the generosity of the Savannah River Site Community Reuse Organization.
WORC Leaders will:
- Serve as emcees at WORC sponsored oral sessions of Scholar Showcase
- Attend and promote STEM at the STEM Career Connections Fair
- Attend and promote STEM Friday
- Attend and promote our college “Science on Tap” and “STEM in the Alley” events per year. Both are scientific outreach events that are hosted in downtown Aiken to celebrate science and student research. These events involve a student poster session and two research presentations by UofSC Aiken faculty (or SRNL staff scientists for the “Science on Tap” events). These events provide food and fellowship for participants. These events build relationships that lead to collaborations.
- “WORC Leaders” will complete UofSC Aiken’s Leadership Certificate – this certificate involves leadership coursework and has service-learning components. (Must complete ASUP 110 in freshman year, ASUP 210 in sophomore year, and ASUP 310 in junior or senior year)
- “WORC Leaders” will be assigned a SRNL University Affiliate as their key mentor (part of existing MOU with SRNL).
- We currently have University Affiliates in Materials Science/Geology, and Chemistry.
How do I apply?
The call for submissions is currently closed. The online application will appear on this page during the next call for submissions.