If an accident or serious injury/ illness occurs on campus, immediately call USC Aiken Police at 6-1-1-1 Give your name, describe the nature of the medical problem, and the campus location of the victim. Quickly perform these four steps:
- Ask the victim "Are you okay?" and "What's wrong?"
- Check breathing and pulse and give artificial respiration or CPR if necessary, and you are qualified.
- Control serious bleeding by applying direct pressure on the wound.
- Keep the victim still and comfortable. Have the victim lie down if necessary. Continue to assist the victim until help arrives.
- Try to determine the extent of the injury or probable cause of illness.
- Protect the victim from disturbances, reassure the victim and Do Not move him or her unless absolutely necessary.
- Look for emergency ID, gather information from witnesses and give all information to the emergency response personnel arriving on the scene.