Know the location of fire extinguishers in your area and how to use them.
- Activate the building fire alarm (pull station)
- Immediately call USC Aiken Police at 6-1-1-1. Give your name and describe the location and size of the fire.
- For minor fires that appear controllable promptly direct the fire extinguisher contents toward the base of the flames (PASS method). Get help if necessary. Do Not take unnecessary chances or endanger yourself or others.
- For larger fires that are not immediately controllable, or after unsuccessfully using the fire extinguisher, close all doors (Do Not lock them) to confine the fire and reduce oxygen.
- Evacuate the building by quickly walking to the nearest exit, alerting people as you go. Assist the disabled in exiting the building (see guidelines on last page).
- Once outside, move to a clear area parking lot rally point, away from the affected building(s). Keep walkways/roadways clear for emergency vehicles.
- To the best of your ability, and without re-entering the building, assist Police officers/BEC in their attempts to determine that everyone has evacuated safely.
- Do Not return to a building until told to do so or the all clear signal is sounded (emergency signal pulse steady)
- If the Chancellor’s Office signals a campus wide evacuation (emergency signal steady tone) evacuate the campus following PA announcement, emergency web page and text messaging instructions.