If you see a suspicious object or potential bomb on campus, do not handle the object. Clear the area and immediately call the USC Aiken Police at 6-1-1-1.
If you receive a phone call that a bomb or other explosive device has been placed on campus, attempt to keep the caller talking (do not interrupt) as long as possible and ask in a calm voice:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Why did you place the bomb?
- Where is the bomb right now?
- Where are you calling from?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What is your name?
- What does it look like?
- Inform the caller that detonation could cause injury
Immediately notify the USC Aiken Police at 6-1-1-1 and supply them with the information outlined above. Save your notes (EAP checklist pg 32) so that you may turn it over to Police officers later. The Chancellor’s Office may signal a "general emergency condition" warning (siren wail with PA announcement and/or possible limited evacuation).
If you receive suspicious mail, do not handle the letter, envelope or package. Report to your supervisor/faculty and call the USC Aiken Police at 6-1-1-1
Law enforcement officers will conduct a detailed bomb search. Employees are requested to make a cursory inspection of their area for suspicious objects and to report the location to the USC Aiken Police at 6-1-1-1
- If warranted, evacuate the building quickly by pulling fire alarm (controlled evacuation) and walking to the nearest exit, alerting Building Emergency Coordinator (BEC) and others as you go. Assist the disabled in exiting the building (see guidelines on last page).
- To the best of your ability, and without re-entering the building, assist Police and BECs in their attempts to determine that everyone has evacuated safely.
- Once outside, move to your rally point (a parking lot area away from the affected building(s); unless directed otherwise. Keep walkways/roads clear for emergency vehicles.
- DO NOT return to a building until told to do so or the all clear signal is sounded (emergency signal pulse steady)
- If the Chancellor’s Office signals a campus wide evacuation (emergency signal steady tone) evacuate the campus following PA announcement, emergency web page and text messaging instructions.