UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AIKEN
ALUMNI ASSOCIATION CONSTITUTION
We, former students of the University of South Carolina at Aiken (USCA), grateful for the privilege of having shared in that institution's ideals and mindful of the enrichment and opportunities brought to our lives through our association with USCA, do hereby constitute ourselves as the USCA Alumni Association and pledge to continue to develop and support USCA and the USCA Alumni Association through giving of our time, talents and resources.
The name of this nonprofit organization shall be the USCA Alumni Association.
The purpose of the USCA Alumni Association shall be to support the mutual interests of USCA and its Alumni through vigorous efforts to foster the resources of and opportunities offered by each organization, including providing and soliciting financial support for each organization.
A. There shall be at least the following categories of membership in the USCA Alumni Association:
1. Regular Members. Regular members shall consist of former students who have received a degree from USCA and who have paid the minimum annual contribution to the university set forth by the USCA Alumni Council. Any individual that has graduated from USCA shall automatically be considered a Regular Member of the USCA Alumni Association for one year past the date of their graduation from USCA. The minimum annual contribution is waived for these recent graduates for that one year period.
2. Associate Members. Associate Members shall consist of current USCA students, former students who did not receive a degree or friends of the university who have expressed an interest in supporting USCA Alumni Association activities. Associate Members must also pay the minimum annual contribution set forth by the USCA Alumni Council.
3. Joint Members. Joint members shall consist of two legally married former students who have each received a degree from USCA who have jointly paid their minimum annual contribution set forth by the USCA Alumni Council. They shall have the status of Regular Members.
4. Honorary Members. Honorary Members shall consist of individuals whose service to USCA is deserving of special recognition as determined by the USCA Alumni Council or USCA Executive Board.
5. Active Members. Active Members shall consist of Regular, Associate and Joint Members who have paid the minimum annual contribution set by the USCA Alumni Council and are in good standing.
8. Other levels of membership may be established by action of the USCA Alumni Council based upon financial contributions, service or other standards.
B. The minimum annual contribution shall be set forth by the USCA Alumni Council.
A. Association Officers
1. President. The President shall preside at all meetings of the Alumni Association, Executive Board and Alumni Council, appoint members and chairpersons of standing committees, except as otherwise provided herein, and ad hoc committees as needed; appoint ex-officio members; appoint persons to fill temporarily any office that becomes vacant; perform such other duties as are provided for in this constitution; and perform any other duties necessarily implied herein.
2. Vice President. The Vice President shall serve for the President during any absences and become President in the event of a vacancy in the office of President. The Vice President shall assume the office of President at the expiration of the term of the then serving president. The Vice President shall be a member of the Alumni Council and the Executive Board.
3. Secretary/Treasurer. The Secretary/Treasurer shall take all minutes of all regular meetings of the Association, Executive Board and Alumni Council; coordinate email correspondence to disseminate meeting minutes, report on all scholarship matters including fundraising totals, budgets, and scholarship recipient correspondence, serve as chair of the Strategic Plan and Bylaws Committee; perform such other duties as assigned by the President; and shall be a member of the Alumni Council and Executive Board.
4. Immediate Past President. The Immediate Past President shall serve as a mentor to the President, provide support and guidance to the committee chairs, perform such duties as assigned by the President and shall be a member of the Alumni Council and Executive Board.
5. Ex-Officio Officers. The Ex-Officio Officers shall include:
a. The USCA Vice Chancellor for University Advancement shall act as an advisor to the USCA Alumni Association.
b. The USCA Director of Alumni Relations and Community Partnerships shall serve as a coordinator to the USCA Alumni Association and shall assist the Association, its officers, and members in implementing programs and activities undertaken by the Association. The Director shall be selected according to University hiring policies. An Interim USCA Director of Alumni Relations and Community Partnerships may be used for an indefinite period of time and shall be selected in the same manner as the permanent USCA Director of Alumni Relations and Community Partnerships.
B. Terms of Officers
1. The President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer shall serve terms of two (2) years.
2. The Immediate Past President shall serve a term of one (1) year.
C. Election of Officers
1. The President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer shall be elected every other year, except as otherwise required, at the Annual Meeting of the USCA Alumni Association by a majority of those active members attending and voting at that meeting or voting in writing by mail received by the Secretary prior to the meeting. There shall be only one vote per Active Member allowed.
2. Prior to the Annual Meeting, a Nominating Committee appointed by the President and composed of at least three members of the Alumni Council shall compile and present in writing a slate of officers to the active members of the Association at least twenty (20) days prior to the Annual Meeting.
a. All nominees must be Active Members of the USCA Alumni Association.
b. All nominees so presented must give their prior consent to have their names placed in nomination.
c. The slate must be approved for nomination by action of the Alumni Council prior to the Annual Meeting, but may be changed by a majority vote of the members of the Alumni Council attending and voting at a meeting of the Alumni Council or voting in writing by mail received by the Secretary/Treasurer prior to the meeting.
d. Any active member of the Association attending the Annual Meeting is eligible for nomination from the floor to an office.
1. In addition the provisions in IV.A. 1., a vacancy in the existing terms of any Association office, except President, shall be filled by appointment of the President until the next Annual or Special Association Meeting
2. At the Annual Meeting a permanent successor shall be elected by majority vote as provided in IV.C. herein above.
A. The Alumni Council shall be an advisory council for and represent the Alumni Association in all matters; carry out the mission of the Association; receive and act on reports; set annual fees for Active Membership in the Association; establish levels of membership in addition to those provided herein above; and carry out such other duties and responsibilities as are necessary for the functioning of the Association. Ideally the Alumni Council will be comprised of fifteen (15) members who must be active members of the Association and shall serve terms of two (2) years.
1. Members shall be appointed to the Alumni Council by the Executive Board,
2. The Alumni council shall have at least one representative from each of the two colleges and from each of the three professional schools.
3. Other at-large members may be appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Executive Board. The Executive Board shall strive to achieve a diversity of membership in the Alumni Council that reflects the diversity of current and former students of USCA.
4. Any member of the Alumni Council who is absent from 70% of the regularly scheduled Alumni Association/Alumni Council activities, or fails to make an annual contribution (see Article 3A and Article 5A of this document), may be removed from the Council. In the event that a Council member is so removed, the Alumni Council shall nominate a replacement for that vacancy. The actions of removing a Council member and adding a replacement member shall be accomplished by the affirmative vote of a majority of the members of the Alumni Council voting.
5. Ex-Officio members shall include the following:
b. Vice Chancellor for Student Life and Services or his/her representative (Director of Student Involvement or Director of Career Services),
c. Vice Chancellor for University Advancement and External Relations
d. Director of Alumni Relations and Community Partnerships
1. With the exception of the presiding officer and ex-officio members, all members of the Council shall have voting privileges. The presiding officer may vote to break a tie
2. All issues considered by the Alumni Council shall be decided by a majority vote of those present, except as otherwise specifically provided herein.
1. The Alumni Council shall meet not less than four (4) times per year. Such regular meetings shall be held at a time and place approved by the Executive Board.
2. Special meetings may be called by the President, a majority vote of the Executive Board, or by 25% of the Alumni Council.
3. Eight (8) members of the Alumni Council shall constitute a quorum for conducting business at regular or special meetings.
E. Standing Committees
1. The Alumni Council shall include the following standing committees appointed by the President that may be called to meetings by their respective chairpersons. Such committees shall consist of the following:
a. Fundraising Committee,
b. Student and Alumni Connections Committee,
c. Membership Development and Volunteerism Committee,
d. Young Alumni Committee,
e. Scholarship Committee,
f. Strategic Plan and Bylaws Committee,
g. Such ad hoc committees as may be appointed by the President.
The Executive Board shall consist of the Association President, Vice President, Secretary/Treasurer, Immediate Past President, and chairs. Five members of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum for conducting business. Meetings of the Executive Board may be called by the President or any two members of the Board. The Executive Board shall have responsibility for establishing policy and strategic direction for the USCA Alumni Association. The Executive Board shall have powers of the Alumni Council during the interim between meetings of the Council.
The Executive Board shall meet at least four times per year and at such other times as needed upon the call of the President or any three other members of the Executive Board. The Executive Board shall have all the powers of the Alumni Council to transact business on behalf of the Council with such actions to be presented to the Council at a later meeting (as deemed necessary).
A. Annual Meeting
1. The USCA Alumni Association shall hold an Annual Meeting on a date and at a place approved by the Executive Board.
2. Special meetings of the Association may be called by the Executive Board or by the petition or vote of 25% of the members of the Alumni Council.
B. Notice of Meetings
1. At least ten (10) days’ notice of the Annual or any special meeting of the Association shall be given to all active members. Such notice shall contain a listing of the matters to be considered at the meeting.
2. No other agenda items may be introduced at the meeting, except on the vote of two thirds (2/3) of the active members attending the meeting.
1. The quorum necessary to conduct the business of the Alumni Association shall be the number of active members present at the meeting.
2. Members unable to attend the meeting may submit their votes by a written, signed proxy received by the Secretary/Treasurer prior to the Annual Meeting.
All meetings of the Alumni Association, Alumni Council, Executive Board, Standing Committees and Ad Hoc Committees shall be conducted pursuant to the most current edition in effect at the time of Robert's Rules of Order, unless such is waived by unanimous consent of the members attending the meeting.
This Constitution may be altered, amended or repealed in whole or in part by a vote of at least two-thirds (2/3) of the active members of the Alumni Council attending an Regular or Special meeting. Written votes received by the Executive Board prior to the Regular or Special Meeting may be accepted if an Active Council Member is unable to attend the meeting. No such amendment may be considered unless twenty (20) days prior notice of the meeting and a written explanation of the amendments are provided to all active members of the Alumni Council.
CHAPTERS OF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
(Passed May 14, 1999)
Chapters of the Alumni Association may be formed based on academic discipline, geographic location, or other special interests. Policies regarding governance, programming, and financing of such Chapters will be set by the Executive Board of the Alumni Council within the following parameters:
1. Approval to form a Chapter must be granted by the Alumni Council, which also shall have the power to disband a Chapter.
2. The Alumni Council will consider forming a Chapter after receiving a written request to do so by five Alumni Association members in good standing who claim an affinity with a particular academic department, geographic location, or special interest.
3. The Alumni Council may provide financial support during the Chapter's formative phase, and may attach obligations to use of the money.
4. The Alumni Council shall have the authority to set aside a portion of each Chapter member's dues for use by the Chapter.
5. The Alumni Council shall appoint a member in good standing to serve as a liaison to a Chapter, and as an ex-officio member of the Chapter's governing body.
6. An Alumni Chapter shall refer to itself in all publications and correspondence as a "Chapter of the USCA Alumni Association."
Revised May 2013