- Ph.D. Science Education, Biology & Technology. August, 1992, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL. Dissertation: The effects of hypermapping and embedded cognitive strategies on student achievement and the completion rate of a hypermedia tutorial.
- Ed.S. Science Education, Biology. June, 1992, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL
- M.S. Educational Leadership, Secondary School Administration. August, 1991, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL
- M.S. Science Education, Computer Science. December, 1984, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL
- B.S. Marine Biology. June, 1982, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL
- 2004 - Present: Director of the Ruth Patrick Science Education Center.
- 2008 - Present: Director of the South Carolina Center of Excellence in Middle-level Interdisciplinary Strategies for Teaching (CE-MIST).
- 2002 - Present: Faculty at the University of South Carolina Aiken. 2014 - present, Professor; 2008 - 2014, Associate Professor; 2002 - 2008, Assistant Professor
- 1997 - Present: Director of the South Carolina Center of Excellence in Educational Technology (CEET).
- 1996 - Present: Director of the DuPont Planetarium.
- 1992 - 2004: Technologies Director, Ruth Patrick Science Education Center.
- 1990 - 1992: Program Director, East Central Florida Center of Excellence in Science, Mathematics, Computers and Technology.
- 1985 - 1992: Adjunct Faculty, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne. Courses Taught: Materials and Methods for Teaching Secondary Science, Microcomputers in Education, Educational Statistics, The Ecology of Florida and The Great Smoky Mountains.
- 1984 - 1990: Secondary School Teacher, Brevard Co. Florida. Courses Taught: Earth Science, Life Science, Oceanography, Physical Science, Science Research.
- 1980 - 1983: Naturalist, Patrolman, Chatfield Hollow State Park, Killingworth CT (summers). Environmental Education Programs, Law enforcement.
- Senn, G., McMurtrie, D., & Coleman, B. (2018, May). Collaboration in the middle: Teachers in interdisciplinary planning. Session presented at the Southeastern Professors of Middle Level Education Symposium, Greenville, SC.
- Coleman, B. K., McMurtrie D. H., & Senn, G. J. (2017). Adding Relevancy to Mathematics While Exploring Presidential Data. South Carolina Association for Middle Level Education Journal 25-31.
- Senn, G. J., McMurtrie, D. H., & Coleman, B. K. (2017, March). Great American Solar Eclipse 2017 - Middle School Approach. Presented at the South Carolina Association of Middle Level Education Conference, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. (2016, November). I use multi million-dollar satellites to find Tupperware in the woods. Presented at the South Carolina Educational Technology Conference, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J., Eberhard, B. & Key, M (2015, November). STEM education partnerships: The critical need to secure new generations of innovators. Presented at the Wildlife Habitat Council Annual Conservation Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- McMurtrie D. H., Coleman, B. K., Ruppert, N., & Senn, G. J. (2014). The Impact of Service Learning on Middle Level Pre-Service Teachers. Current Issues in Middle Level Education, 19(1).
- Senn, G. J., McMurtrie D. H., & Coleman, B. K. (2013). RAFTing with raptors: Connecting science, English language arts, and the Common Core State Standards. Middle School Journal, 44(3), 52-55.
- Senn, G. J., & Smalley, D. C. (2012, August). Sizes and Scales of Heavenly Objects. Presented at the meeting of the Carolina Association of Planetarium Educators, Greenville, SC.
- Luedeman, J. K. & Senn, G. J. (2011). Center of excellence in middle-level, interdisciplinary strategies for teaching (CE-MIST). In D. F. Berlin & A. L. White (Eds.), Science and Mathematics Education: International innovations, research, and practices (pp. 217-224). Columbus, OH: International Consortium For Research in Science and Mathematics Education.
- Senn, G. J., Coleman, B. K., & McMurtrie D. H. (2010). Using an interdisciplinary “trunk” to facilitate interdisciplinary planning among teachers. South Carolina Middle School Association Journal, 71-80.
- Senn, G. J., & Smyth J. C. (2009, October). Breathing a Second Life into graduate courses. Presented at the Ed Tech 2009 conference, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. (2008). Comparison of face-to-face and hybrid delivery of a course that requires technology skills development. Journal of Information Technology Education 7, 267-283. http://jite.org/documents/Vol7/JITEv7p267-283Senn309.pdf (PDF = 340KB)
- Senn, G. J., & Smyth, T. J. C. (2007, April). Transitioning traditional, face-to-face, technology classes to online format. Presented at the 18th annual International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, Jacksonville, FL.
- Senn, G. J. (2006, November 18). Pluto’s Planetary Plight. Presented at the meeting of the Augusta Rotary Club, Augusta, GA.
- Senn, G. J. (2005). "Who is in charge of the education of children?" In J. Hargis, An active guide to education. (pp. 164-165). Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt.
- Senn, G. J. & Smyth T. J. C. (2004). Flash Animations in science education. Presented at the EdTech ‘04 Conference: Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. (2003). Planetarium Obscura- A camera obscura in a planetarium. Journal of the SouthEastern Planetarium Association, 23(1), 20-23.
- Senn, G. J. (2002) Incorporating digital video creation into the classroom. Presented at the 13th annual International Conference on College Teaching and Learning; Jacksonville, FL.
- Senn, G. J. & Smyth T. J. C. (2001). Innovations in Web-Based Instruction. Presented at the Teaching and Learning Through the Internet 2001 National conference, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. (2000). Design and implementation of planetarium shelving for use in conjunction with a camera obscura. Presented at the annual meeting of the South Carolina Organization of Planetarians and Educators.
- Senn, G. J., Hutchens, J. M. & Smyth T. J. C. (1999). Itching to get Information from the Internet. Presented at the EdTech '99 Conference - Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. & Gurr, H. S. (1998). The Planetarium Obscura. Presented at the Southeastern Planetarium Association Conference - Roanoke, VA.
- Senn, G. J. & Smyth, T. J. C. (1997). Web-based database interaction: Setting up and maintaining a database on the web. Presented at the Higher Education Networking Association Conference - Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. & Horton, P. B. (1996). The effects of hypermapping and embedded prompts on biology achievement and the completion rate of hypermedia courseware. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 15(1/2), 35-47.
- Senn, G. J. & Smyth T. J. C. (1995) Using a LAN and the WWW to Enhance Undergraduate and Graduate Instruction. Presented at the annual meeting of the Higher Education Networking Association, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Senn, G. J. (1994). Multimedia Development Using Media Max. Presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Applied Interactive Multimedia, Charleston, SC.
- Senn, G. J. & Priest, J.M. (1993). Computer Technology For Elementary And Middle Schools. Presented at the National Educational Computing Conference - Orlando, FL.
- Horton, P. B., Senn, G. J., et al. (1993). An Investigation of the effectiveness of concept mapping as an instructional tool. Science Education, 77(1), 95-111.
- Senn, G. J. (1992). The Ecology and Culture of the Great Smoky Mountains [Computer program].
- Senn, G. J., & Horton, P. B. (1987). The effect of graded homework on student achievement in college general chemistry. Presented at the annual meeting of the National Science Teachers Association - Miami, FL.
Acted as Principal Investigator or Co-principal Investigator for 40 grants totaling over $5,750,000 since 1992.
Acted as consultant, and key personnel on 14 grants totaling over $500,000 from 1984-1992.
Conducted over 150 workshops or inservices for K-12 teachers and students. Topics covered: natural sciences and computer technology.
I have been associated with each of these organizations in the past but am not currently active in all of the organizations listed.
Association for Applied Interactive Multimedia
Association for Middle Level Education
Middle School Journal: Reviewer 2009-Present, Editorial Board 2016-Present
Association of Small Computer Users in Education
Central Savannah River Area Science & Engineering Fair: Scientific Review Committee Chair 2008-Present
Citizens for Nuclear Technology Awareness: Education subcommittee
Carolina Association of Planetarium Educators
Florida Association of Science Teachers
Higher Education Network Association
Informing Science Institute: Journal Review Board 2006-Present
International DigiStar Users Group: President 2005-2008, Past President 2009-2011
National Association for Research in Science Teaching
National Association of Professors of Middle Level Education: Southern Region Director 2014-2017, President Elect 2016-2018
National Educational Computing Association
National Science Teachers Association
Nuclear Science Week Steering Committee: Chair of Education Day Subcommittee 2013-Present
South Carolina Association for Educational Technology
South Carolina Geographic Alliance
South Carolina Middle School Association: Board Member 2012-2014
South Carolina Professors of Middle Level Education: President Elect 2010-12, President 2012-2015, Past President 2015-2018
South Carolina Virtual Department of Instructional Technology
SouthEastern Planetarium Association: South Carolina State Coordinator 2008-present