There are many milestones in a child's life that parents look forward to; graduating from college and securing that first job are two of them. In many ways, supporting your student's career hunt can feel very similar to the college search. However, your aid and assistance in this search will, and should be, a little different.
Your greatest contribution to your student's career planning and job search will be:
- Understanding the current job market
Talk with your student about the various resources that we provide along the college / career path.
- Offering support during the various career development phases
- Affirming the value in networking and gaining experience
- Helping your student identify personal interests, skills and talents
- Encouraging exploration of all career options and opportunities
- Connecting your student with people, places, and professions
- Finding the right "parental involvement" balance
These are all valuable ways to support your career seeking student. Similar to all previous parenting moments, knowing when to step in, or step aside, will be your main objective and we are here to help. The Office of Career Services can assist your student, or alum, with any of the following concerns:
- Choosing a Major
- Finding an Internship
- Preparing a Résumé and Cover Letter
- Practicing for an Interview
- Job Searching
- Graduate and Professional School Planning
We invite you to explore our Parent Resources, and we hope this will be a valuable source of information for you as you help your student along this important journey. If you have questions that aren't answered here, please contact us.